About Dr. Terry Mooney
Dr.Mooney is the Co-Director and Owner of Karner Psychological Associates (KPA), which was established in 1987 and has offices in Guilderland, East Greenbush, and Clifton Park, N.Y. Karner Psychological Associates is the largest private, outpatient, mental health clinic in the Capital Region, offering individual, family and group therapy for children through seniors. KPA also offers workshops and consultation services.
When Dr. Mooney is not coaching or counseling individuals, couples or families, or managing two successful businesses, he manages to keep his center by pursing his numerous personal hobbies and interests. Time with family and friends has to be first. Laughing, talking and just making time for important relations are the center of his world. Next comes making time to pursue his other passions of gardening, his black Labrador, fly fishing and sport fishing, being in the outdoors and bow hunting. And now two wonderful young grandchildren.
“Remember to build your work around your life; not your life around your work.”
What Is Life Coaching?
Life coaching is entirely different from psychotherapy, drawing from numerous disciplines including sociology, psychology, positive adult development and career counseling. Anyone and everyone can benefit from coaching, since its purpose is to help people identify and achieve their personal goals. Life coaches assist clients by using a variety techniques and methods.
Ph.D. – Counseling Psychology; State University of New York at Albany (APA-approved program) 1982.
Ed.S. and M.S. – Counseling and Personnel Services, State University of New York at Albany, 1973.
B.A. – Political Science, Marist College, Poughkeepsie, New York, 1971.
- Director of the Anxiety and Stress Disorders Clinic, Karner Psychological Associates. September, 1987-Present.
- Clinical Consultant, Parson’s Family Services, March, 1988 – September, 1990.
- Counselor and Program Director, Center for Counseling, Consortium of Employee Assistance Programs of the Capital Area. April, 1982 – December, 1988.
- Psychological consultant to The Franciscans Friary (1982-1990). Included employee counseling, management and labor consulting, training supervisors and labor personnel on positive discipline and performance appraisal approaches, drug and alcoholism policies.
- Vocational counselor, Vocation Department, Sunnyview Hospital, Schenectady, New York (Summer, 1982).
- Psychological Intern, Counseling Center, Siena College, Loudonville, New York (August, 1979 to May, 1981)
- Field Placements (January, 1978 to December, 1978) Albany Medical Center, Acute Psychiatric Ward; The Menands Workshop; The Psychological Services Clinic.
- Staff Counselor/Coordinator, Counseling Center, Suffolk County Community College, Brentwood, New York (September, 1974 to August, 1977).
- Years of consultation with individuals, schools, groups, hospitals.
Co-Director and Owner of Karner Psychological Associates (KPA), with offices in Guilderland, East Greenbush & Clifton Park, N.Y. Karner Psychological Associates is the largest private, outpatient, mental health clinic in the Capital Region, offering individual, family and group therapy for children through seniors. Workshops and consultation services also available (1987 – Present).
Program Director, Consortium of Employee Assistance Programs of the Capital Area (January, 1985 – April, 1988).
Staff Counselor/Counseling Coordinator, Middle Earth, State University of New York at Albany (September, 1980 – May, 1981).
Director of Admissions, Seton College, Yonkers, New York (January, 1973 – August, 1974).
Consultant and Trainer to a number of groups and organizations, including:
- Center for Women in Government
- New York State United Teachers
- Visiting Nursing Services
- New York State Bar Association
- General Electric
- Capital District Transit Authority
- Norstar Bank
- Central New York Psychiatric Center
- Allied Bendix
- Hudson Valley Community College
- Key Corporation
- St. Peter’s Hospital
- Shenendahowa School District.
Adjunct teaching responsibilities, including:
- Siena College
- State University of New York at Albany
- Suffolk Community College
- Hudson Valley Community College
- New York State Psychological Association (NYSPA)
- American Psychological Association (APA)
- Psychological Association of Northeastern New York (PANNY)
- Past President of The Employee Assistance Professionals Association (EAPA), formerly known as the Association of Labor Management Administrators and Consultants on Alcoholism (ALMACA)
- Anxiety Disorders Association of America